With a great salary, high job satisfaction, and huge projected industry growth, it’s no surprise that data science bootcamps are definitely worth it. Data science is consistently ranked as one of best jobs in America, and one of the highest paying. Plus, global uncertainty makes it the perfect time to start a well-paid, in-demand career.
So what’s holding you back? If you’re like most people, it’s time and money. You don’t want to be saddled with a huge student loan if you go to college. You also don’t want to sink four years into that degree without knowing what you’re getting out of it. That’s why bootcamps have become such a popular route. They are quicker, cheaper, and far more efficient than going to college. In a matter of weeks, you could be well-qualified to land the job of your dreams.
Too good to be true? The idea of learning everything you need to start your data science career in just a few weeks seems too good to be true. And with some bootcamps, it is. There are a huge range of bootcamp options, and new companies are popping up all the time. The truth is you can get a great data science job after a few short months. But only if you choose the right program.
With so many options to choose from, how do you know if you’re making the right choice? Here is what to look for in a bootcamp:
- Established: The first step is to look at the company offering the course. How long have they been around? Did they just set up shop or do they have an established reputation? Also, do they provide a long list of satisfied program graduates? What do those graduates say about the program? A quick online search should turn up reviews from previous students.
- Course material: Some companies offer ridiculously cheap bootcamps, which might seem attractive at first. Who doesn’t love the sound of landing a six-figure income in one week after investing a measly $20? But dig a little further, and you might find the ‘course material’ is made up of material you can already find online for free. That might not be a problem if you want to teach yourself. But if that were the case, you probably wouldn’t be looking for a bootcamp in the first place. High-quality programs have original course material from subject experts. The topics should be directly linked to the skills employers want. The goal is you should be able to walk out of the bootcamp and straight into job interviews.
- Instruction: Great bootcamps also have ample access to highly-qualified mentors. Of course there will be self-guided practice, but you will learn far more quickly with dedicated instruction staff. Don’t be afraid to ask about the instructors ahead of time and verify their credentials. You’re invest the money in the training, and it should be delivered by people who know their stuff.
- Outcomes: The whole program should be centered on building your portfolio with tangible evidence of your skills. Also, you should be highly suspicious of any bootcamp that offers unbelievable promises – like a guaranteed six-figure income from an employer like Amazon or Google. Don’t be lured in by false promises. Instead, you should look for a bootcamp that offers a dedicated career services team that prepares you for employment. The best ones offer resume help, coaching, interview prep, and help you identify good job opportunities. Ask any prospective bootcamp organizer what results the most recent cohort has had. Where do they work now? How long did it take them to find jobs? A good bootcamp company will keep track of this information so it can make sure the course is highly relevant and applicable. The whole point is to get you into a new career, and you deserve to know how well it delivers.
Still wondering if data Science Bootcamps Worth It? At Coding Dojo, we offer a 14-week immersive Data Science bootcamp. Does that sound short? That’s because it is. Yet our students always surprise themselves with how much they accomplish in a matter of weeks. Coding Dojo bootcamps have a reputation for being rigorous. You’ll be on site for 40 hours/ week in a combination of lectures and lab work. Your days will be full of group activities, projects and assignments. We also offer the chance to attend seminars with industry leaders.
The world-class curriculum was created by Isaac Faber Ph.D., the Chief Data Scientist at the U.S. Army AI Task Force. He earned his doctorate at Stanford University, and is a former West Point Military Academy professor. We get input from top tech companies for the bootcamp, so you can be confident you’re getting the most out of your investment. You’ll have the freedom to push yourself, with the assurance that help is always nearby. There are dedicated mentors and instructors available to you, and they want you to succeed.
What will you learn? The Coding Dojo Data Science bootcamp will teach you to:
- Understand the Data Science Process and how to apply it in various situations
- Develop Data Science solutions using SQL, Tableau, R, and Python
- Build predictive models by leveraging statistical and machine learning
- Understand how business problems can be solved using Data Science techniques
What can you do with it? Once you complete the program, you’ll have the right skill set to solve real-world problems in business and academia. Most of our graduates go straight into roles like junior data scientist and data analyst. We have a dedicated career services team who is ready to help you launch into your data science career. Whether you need one-to-one interview coaching or networking opportunities, we are here for you. And that support doesn’t stop when you leave. As a Coding Dojo alumni, you have continuing access to our team throughout your career. We are right behind you.
Ready to get started? We’re now accepting applications for the next Coding Dojo Data Science Bootcamp, which starts on August 17, 2020.